This focaccia bread recipe is easy to make and so satisfying to eat. Soft on the inside, crisp on the outside flavored simply with olive oil and salt.
Recipe By Alida from Simply Delicious Food
Ingredients for the Focaccia dough:
4 cups L.A. FARMS Stoneground Flour
1 tsp salt
2 cups warm water
10 g (2tsp) instant yeast
1 tsp sugar
½ cup L.A. FARMS Olive Oil
Ingredients for the Basil and Tomato Focaccia:
250 g cherry tomatoes
1 cup fresh basil
4 tbsp L.A. FARMS Olive Oil
Instructions for the Focaccia Dough
1. Combine the instant yeast with warm water and sugar. The water should be just warm enough so that when you put your finger in, it feels like nothing (this is called blood temperature). Allow this mixture to stand for a few minutes until foamy.
2. Combine the flour and salt in a large bowl (I use my stand mixer fitted with the dough hook attachment). Mix then pour in the yeast mixture and 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
3. Mix for a few minutes until everything is well combined. The dough will be very wet and sticky, almost like a thick batter.
4. Drizzle 2 tablespoons of oil over the dough and lightly oil your hands. Roll the dough in the oil to coat then cover with plastic. (At this stage you can place the dough in the fridge to proof overnight if you prefer. )
5. Place the dough in a warm spot and allow to rise for 1 hour or until doubled in size. Drizzle over another 2 tbsp. oil and fold the dough from the outside in 4 times, turning the bowl as you go. Cover the dough again and allow to rise for 30 minutes.
Instructions For the Basil and Tomato Focaccia:
1. Prepare the dough according to recipe instructions above.
2. Spray a deep baking dish with nonstick cooking spray then add 3 tbsp oil.
3. I prefer using a deeper dish because I like a fluffier baked bread. If you want to keep it traditional, use a rimmed sheet pan.
4. Tip the dough into the pan, trying not to disturb it too much. With oiled fingers, press into the dough, spreading it into the corners and creating a dimpled appearance.
5. If the dough feels tight at all, leave it for 10 minutes then try again. Allow to stand for 30 minutes while you preheat the oven.
6. Blend ½ cup basil and olive oil until smooth then pour through a sieve (optional).
7. Add the cherry tomatoes, basil oil and fresh basil leaves then season the bread generously with flaky sea salt.
8. Place in the oven and bake for 30-40 minute or until the bread is golden brown and crisp on the outside and sounds hollow when tapped.
9. Allow the bread to cool in the pan for a few minutes then remove and allow to cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.